Today’s post is a pretty substantial one, so I’ll get right to it. I’ve discovered how to rid my Vibrams of the horrific stench they acquire with regular use. I’ve tried everything from machine washing to sun bathing to baking soda and vinegar – and none of it has worked. Now, I have a solution. [Hat tip to KPiz.]
The solution comes from a simple washing machine cleaner. It’s called Smelly Washer. The process is painfully simple.
- Fill a bucket with warm/hot water and a generous helping of Smelly Washer powder (at least 3 tbsp)
- Put your Vibrams in that bucket
- Let them soak (preferably outside in the sun) for a day
- Take them out of the bucket, and let them sun-dry for another day
- Put on your fresh-as-new Vibrams, and enjoy your barefooting lifestyle again!
Yes, it takes a good bit of time to perform the cleaning task, but the results are fantastic. I would suggest owning two pairs of Vibrams, so you can always have one fresh pair on hand (foot).
My Vibrams were funkier than John Coltrane playing the sax, and everyone around me knew it. It got to a point where it even bothered me to the point of wanting to wear a gas mask. Once I soaked them in Smelly Washer, the funk was gone, and they actually smelled like they were new. I was elated when I smelled the fresh Vibram goodness that came out of the Smelly Washer oven.
Give it a try, and report back to me with your results! This is a huge victory in the Vibram arena, and I hope it quells the stinch of many a Vibram afoot barefooters everywhere.